WAR: Tide of Ichor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training Thread - Teheboq

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Training Thread - Teheboq - Page 2 Empty Re: Training Thread - Teheboq

Post  deadlychair Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:45 pm

A sudden wind picked the smoke up and carried it away and Teheboq turned to stare face-to-face with the strange rifle-wielding Skaven.

Teheboq's mind was racing. Adrenaline from the battle had taken his already confused mind and thrown it into overdrive. The Skaven that attacked had clearly tried to separate and eliminate both of them, but why? Teheboq knew that as a race the mutated rats were a backstabbing, conniving group. Assassination was common place in their society. But why bother to do anything at all? Skaven weren't known for their courage, especially in such small numbers, and Teheboq was an exceptionally large Saurus. If they had intended to kill him, why in the middle of the day, and why when he was obviously alert for danger? It seemed unlikely that he was the true target, but if the two had really been after the rat in front of him, why had they even bothered to stop Teheboq at all?

Teheboq shook his head, trying to regain his concentration. It didn't matter why the Skaven had acted so oddly, only that they die, all of them. Teheboq walked over to the Skaven slowly, hoping to trick the beast into thinking that he was not going to attack him. Before he could reach him, the Skaven had raised his gun again, obviously intending to shoot the Saurus if he continued forward. In a flash, Teheboq lunged forward with his spear, but the Skaven was far quicker, and he only had to squeeze his trigger. The shot rang out and Teheboq felt something bite into his bruised side, but to the Skaven's immense surprise Teheboq continued his lunge without so much as a grunt.

With the quickness he had shown earlier the Skaven jumped backwards, but Teheboq's remarkable toughness had surprised him and the Skaven winced as it put its paw on the slight graze Teheboq's spear had made. Seemingly enraged the Skaven fired another shot at Teheboq. The saurus tried to block the shot with his shield, but the Skaven was both an accurate and a swift shot. Teheboq fell to one knee as he felt the small metal sphere bypass his natural armor and lodge itself into his knee.

Teheboq roared as he forced his leg to stand back up and he watched the Skaven's eyes widen in fear as he accomplished the feat.

"Enough lizard!"

Teheboq whirled to see the hulking kislevite behind him and in that moment the Skaven ran off like lightning. Teheboq expressed his outrage, "Rat escaped! Why stop me!?"

"Stone" looked at Teheboq, a serious expression on his face, "Did you hear nothing I said? I find you killing rats, when reports of army of greenskins fill air."

"Greenskins?"

"Orcs, goblins. Green skinned beasts filled with anger," the kislevite explained.

Teheboq's mind filtered the human words into his own knowledge. Orcs were dangerous creatures. About as smart as the average Kroxigor, but far more aggressive, and possessed of a unique level of constitution. Combined with their method of reproduction the saurus had found eliminating their kind entirely to be an impossible task. In large groups the creatures fed off their collective psychic energy, making them a terrible destructive force. If an army truly was coming to the city they would need every able hand to defend the poorly constructed walls. Tameria was vital to Teheboq's success. Realizing that he had been silent for several seconds Teheboq spoke, "I fight. But first healer."

Stat Increases- w/ Bonus for word count.
+1 Ws, +2 W.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

http://acurioustalecory.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 am

Approved.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

https://wartide.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:49 am

Time had healed Teheboq's wounds well, but it had done little for his mood. The rest that the healer had ordered (and enforced with the aid of an Ogre) was excruciating for Teheboq. Despite his wounds his mind was filled with the desire to do something. After a few days the healer had allowed Teheboq to stand on the walls and help keep watch, which helped assuage the Saurus, but he was still restless. In the past Teheboq never had trouble resting and recuperating after being wounded, but for the past few weeks Teheboq had barely been able to go to sleep. His encounter with the ratmen had ignited something deep within. Teheboq's blood had been filled with fire, and the only way for him to cool it down was with the same blood that had appeased the great Sotek. After several weeks of nothing happening it appeared that the reports of greenskins had been nothing more than a rumor and Stone had let Teheboq go back to wandering the town

Restlessness had driven Teheboq from the wall down to the docks. The faint smell of warpstone powder and filth had taunted the Saurus for more than two hours and his nose burned from testing the air so much. Still, he took another deep whiff of the air, trying to tease out the scents that would lead him to the Skaven. He caught the smell, but it was maddeningly faint. Teheboq closed his eyes and willed all of his other senses numb. The whole world went dark and the only thing Teheboq knew was the smells that wafted about the docks. Finally Teheboq caught something, different. A smell that wasn't. The scent didn't smell really like anything, butevery time Teheboq concentrated on it he felt as if his tongue were licking oil. Following the scent led Teheboq to a small warehouse. There were no windows and the door had a sizable lock on it. Teheboq almost laughed, though the lock was fairly impressive, the door that it was attached to was not. A rotting piece of wood was barely attached to the surrounding walls, and with a swift kick Teheboq shattered the obstruction.

Inside was a room made of fur. No, Teheboq corrected himself, it was filled with Skaven. The skaven had been surprised by Teheboq's sudden entrance, but with a start they surged forward. Dozens, maybe hundreds of rats poured towards the door as Teheboq tried to draw his spear. Too slow, Teheboq couldn't ready his spear before the wave of Skaven was upon him. Some bit, some scratched, some had what looked to be small shards of metal, but most just tried to push past Teheboq's body and scramble out the door. Finally realizing his spear was useless in this situation, Teheboq tried to use his arms to hit the ratmen, but every time he tried to move there was another body in the way. He was trapped in a mass of flesh and fur. Teheboq's mind blanked, and his fury took full force, lashing out randomly with his whole body. Biting and kicking Teheboq pushed forward into the surge of bodies. Teheboq took another step and almost fell. The floor had become slippery with blood, and with a start Teheboq realized that much of it was his own. Before he could recover from his surprise another wave of Skaven pushed forward, and this time he really did fall. Seeing their opportunity for escape the remaining Skaven pushed forward with all their might. Teheboq almost cried out as the Skaven began to trample him. He felt dozens of new gashes cut open by the ratmen's sharp claws, and Teheboq cried out hoarsely as his newly-healed ribs began to crack from the abuse.

Teheboq woke up aching more than ever before. He was in the apothecary, and from all the gauze wrapped around his body he knew that he had been treated. For a moment Teheboq tried to sit up, but stopped when his side erupted in searing pain and his vision blacked out. How disgraceful. To have been beaten so badly by those vermin. Still, Teheboq knew that he had learned an important lesson. The Skaven's true might lies in their numbers. Teheboq had already known this, but to experience the truth of the matter was something else entirely. Only the first few Skaven who had attacked Teheboq had any sorts of weapons, but still the time they had bought allowed the rest to rush in and completely overwhelm Teheboq. Slowly, Teheboq forced his body to stand. His side screamed in agony, and he had to stand very slowly, but finally Teheboq stood on his feet. The effort had caused Teheboq to nearly black out, and his breath was coming in ragged gasps. Still, he had to go back to that warehouse. He had to find out what the Skaven were planning, where they had gone. More than that though, he had to figure out how to fight them. Slowly and painfully Teheboq dragged his body back down to the docks.

+3 W.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Approved.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:15 pm

"Are you sure about this lizard?" Stone asked, holding the cannonball Teheboq had retrieved after the battle.

"My body must know the enemy," Teheboq replied, raising his shield.

"Your choice crazy lizard." Stone raised the heavy sphere in one hand, "Ready?"

"Now!" As the word left his mouth the heavy weight slammed into Teheboq's stomach knocking him to the ground. His ribs screamed in agony and the place where the cannonball had hit was entirely numb.

Stone offered a hand to Teheboq, "You alright lizard?"

"You attacked early," Teheboq said as Stone helped him to his feet.

"Bah! Baby could dodge attack he sees coming."

Stone's words did little to settle Teheboq's mind, despite the truth in them. That attack had nearly knocked him out cold in a single blow, and while Stone was very strong, his arm was nothing compared to one of the cannon's the raiders had used. Teheboq knew that no matter how hard he trained, there was no way he could be as effective at stopping enemies as the other defenders. A spear made of bone couldn't compare to one made of fire and who knew what else the sorcerers were capable of. If he couldn't inflict the casualties necessary to drive the raiders away, Teheboq would have to learn how to defend the city itself.

"Again Stone."

"Enough lizard," Stone said, "it will kill you."

Teheboq's ribs still screamed in agony, he hadn't given them time to heal properly since his fight with the Skaven. Teheboq closed his eyes and took as deep a breath as his ribs would allow. As soon as his eyes were closed Teheboq saw the image of the human mage impaling a raider with his sword of fire, followed by the small attack ship being consumed in magical flames from the armored wizard. Lastly, Teheboq saw someone wielding two blades, his opponent dripping poison from a myriad of wounds.

"Again Stone."

---

The setting sun glinted off of the damaged cannonball as it slammed into Teheboq's shield.

Stone laughed as Teheboq absorbed and redirected the impact of the metal sphere. "I think you have it lizard."

This was the fifth time in a row Teheboq had been able to stop the cannonball. His body ached more than he had ever experienced before. Teheboq's once perfectly even scales and bits of bone growths had been chipped and shattered, and he was bleeding from several points where his own defenses had been shoved into his body like tiny spears. Nevertheless, Teheboq hadn't been this happy since he arrived at the island. Walking over to his attacker Teheboq spoke as loud as his ribs would allow him, "Come, I need drink."

+2 W, +1 T

1 Skill point spent
Guard increased from Rank 1 to Rank 2

Last edited by deadlychair on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to spend my skill point)
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Hit
- Cannonball Automatic
Wound
- d100 + S > T+40
40 + 98 > 70 Wound!

Critical Strike!

Damage
6-12+ S/T-5 - Arm
11 + 6 - 2 = 15 damage.

Teheboq is slain.

Encounter over.

JK
Approved. I like it a lot.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Teheboq stared at the last bit of alcohol left in the mug before him. The beer was very dark, the dim light from the tavern was absorbed quickly in the liquid. It reminded Teheboq of a cave, or of one of the mine shafts the dwarves in the town had tried making. Stone had laughed for hours as Teheboq had tried to pronounce the name, but the dwarven words escaped him. Something about how similar they were to his native tongue made the differences all the more blatant, and every time he had tried to emulate Stone's pronunciation the massive kislevite had roared with laughter and forced him to drink some more of the strange ale. Pretty soon Stone had begun to have trouble speaking as well, and the Saurus had imitated his laughter and made him drink again until he could get it right. Not long after they had devolved into a match of laughing, drinking, and saying something that was nowhere even close to the ale's true name. Before they could lose themselves completely, however, a man from the wall had come and muttered something to Stone which caused the large human to get up and run out of the bar without a word. Teheboq had almost finished up the leftover beer, and was staring at the last sip he would have to take when he saw a cloaked figure motion for him and leave the bar.

Curious, Teheboq drank the last of the ale and headed out the door, only stumbling a little bit thanks to his tail. Outside Teheboq saw the figure again, this time at the end of the road heading towards the jungle. Again the figure motioned for Teheboq to follow it and then walked off. The odd summons had all the makings of a trap, but in his inebriated state Teheboq dismissed the idea as paranoid. After all, why would anyone want to kill him? And so Teheboq followed. Each time he thought he had caught up to the figure he saw them at the edge of his vision. Always motioning for him to follow him and then dashing off. As he walked Teheboq's mind began to clear, not enough for him to think about the possible ambush that awaited him, but enough for him to begin noticing details about the being he was following. They were short, to Teheboq at least, perhaps no more than three quarters his height, and much less bulky, thought it was difficult to tell under the ratty cloak. The figure moved quickly, almost gracefully, but something hobbled their steps, turning what would have been a fluid motion into something more jagged. Whatever hampered their movement, it was a boon to Teheboq, as he likely wouldn't have been able to see them at the edges of his vision if their movements were as fluid as they tried to be. Finally, Teheboq reached a small clearing in the jungle, an obvious camp-site from the fire pit that had been made, and standing in the middle of the clearing was the figure.

Teheboq had been correct in his estimates, the figure was somewhere between 5 and 2 and 5 and 4 in the measurement system Stone had been teaching the Saurus. The cloak was more ragged than it had first appeared, a light sand color, and it was wrapped carefully around the being to keep it in place and to hide their dimensions within it. Teheboq sniffed the air carefully, but all he could smell was the cloak itself, a dry, empty scent that revealed as much of the figure as the cloak itself did. The walk had fully unfogged Teheboqs mind, and he felt his body tense, preparing for a surprise attack.

"Relax great lizard," the figure spoke with a dry, cracked voice that reminded the Saurus of the mortar and pestles Skink artisans used, "I did not bring you to this place to harm you."

Teheboq made a show of relaxing his posture, but he opened his eyes and nostrils further to keep a sharp eye on his surroundings. "Why?" Teheboq asked, again cursing the limits of his vocabulary. Stone had tried to teach him a little, but the Kislevite barely spoke the language himself and he wasn't a terribly effective teacher.

The figure leaned back against a tree. "I brought you here to ask you why you are here?"

The question took Teheboq by surprise. Despite his abnormal presence, not one being in the town had asked him why he had come to the Cursed Island of Irolek. Still wary of a trap, Teheboq chose the words from his small pool very carefully, "Learn."

The figure responded quickly, cutting their words short, "Learn! Learn what! To fight! To bleed!? Tell me!"

Teheboq was caught off guard by the figures sudden anger. Why where they so furious about his response, and why did they want to know so badly. Still, Teheboq caught a hint of something in her words and decided to press it. "Fight? Bleed? No. Learn this?" Teheboq spread his arms wide to indicate he meant everything. "Why you here? Learn fight? Learn bleed?" Teheboq let the last word slip between his teeth, making the sound almost a hiss.

"I came to..." the figure trailed off for a moment, "I came to fight. To meet others on the field of battle. To test my skill and my blade in the land where all are equal!" The figure was shouting and raising a scimitar they had kept hidden beneath their cloak. Teheboq eyed the opening and saw a slender body covered in shining plate-mail. Teheboq was amazed, to be wearing armor as heavy and cumbersome as that, and to still have moved away so quickly and quietly! Even now Teheboq could only hear the tell-tale clinking if he focused his hearing directly on the open space of the cloak.

The figure saw Teheboq's surprised stare and moved swiftly to cover herself, her dark eyes burning with fury. For a moment neither of them said anything, each had their eyes glued to the others, and then the woman opened the cloak and drew her sword. "So you have found me out. Fine. I am a woman, but I am more skilled with my blade than a hundred men. For your prejudice my blade shall dine on your gizzard!" The woman threw her cloak back and charged at Teheboq, her movements careful and elegant, but still, somehow, hobbled. Teheboq watched the woman charge, her sword held low to the ground, and at the last moment as she began to bring the blade up in a curving arc he lashed out. Teheboq threw his shield forward with all of his weight behind it. The woman cried out in pain as the shield tore the scimitar from her hands and smashed into her chest throwing her aside and flinging her armor aside.

The woman lay on the ground, her arms deadened by the brutal counterattack and she shouted in between shallow breaths. "Pah! I curse you and yours foul beast! I curse the sky, the earth, and all the gods that give you strength and power and leave nothing for me and mine!"

The woman continued shouting curses, but Teheboq payed her little heed as he stared at the chest-piece that he had knocked aside. The piece was excellent craftsmanship, allowing her flexibility of movement and protection. After a moment of appraisal Teheboq finally saw what he was looking for. The straps that had kept the armor attached to the woman as well as the other pieces were not rotten as he had expected, instead they seemed to be in fantastic condition and obviously as well cared for as the armor itself. Curious, Teheboq walked over to the woman, still hurling curses at him from the ground and flipped her onto her side using his shield. The woman's fury doubled, and she nearly frothed at the mouth as she screamed at the Saurus, but Teheboq was too busy inspecting the armor still attached to her body. Satisfied the the Saurus stepped back and waited for the woman to calm down.

After a few minutes she stopped shouting, and instead took in a few deep breaths and rose to her feet. "Why did you not kill me? Because I am a woman?" the woman asked quietly, her eyes betraying her fury and pride.

Teheboq pointed a claw at the armor on the ground. "Good shield," he said, then pointed at her, "Bad fighter."

The woman said nothing, but even Teheboq could see that she wanted to tear out his heart. Carefully Teheboq bent down to the ground and picked up the chest piece, making sure not to let his eyes off of hers. Silently, Teheboq gestured at the straps, then he grabbed them and pulled them tight and wrapped them so that they would not come undone. Teheboq pulled the strap fiercely, showing that it was secure, then threw it at the woman's feet.

Teheboq watched the fury flow out of the woman's eyes as she bent down to pick up the piece of armor. "I didn't tie the straps," she muttered to herself. After a moment she looked back into the Saurus' eyes, her fierce pride shining beneath them. "You say I am a bad warrior. I cannot fight because I do not know to do things such as this?" she said pulling at the straps on the armor.

"Yes."

The woman dropped the armor to the ground and the two stood that way for a while; Teheboq watching the woman, and the woman staring at the chest-piece on the ground. Finally the woman spoke, though she kept her eyes on the armor, "I cam here to this island to find something. I came to find a place where men and women were equals." The woman raised her head and unwrapped the cloak from her head and body. Beneath Teheboq saw that the woman was heavily mutilated. Large scars ran rings across her face, and large patches of shiny raw skin showed where had been burned terribly. Of her face, Teheboq could see that only the woman's eyes had been spared from damage. "I lived in Araby, a land in the Old World across the great ocean. The land is a vast desert, broken up by a few fertile floodplains and the rare oasis. I lived in a village centered on one of these. I was once called the Diamond of the Sands, and I was beautiful and graceful beyond all the other woman for miles. I was a dancer, and I made my living by entertaining those who had crossed the desert to see me. One day a large band of Orcs attacked. We had fought off similar attacks before, but the force that the men had gone off to destroy had been a mere scouting party for the main force, which attacked while the warriors of the village were gone. An unlikely tactic for Orcs, but it was a devastating move. The men who were left in the camp, those too old, weak, or cowardly to fight took up arms as best they could, but before the tremendous strength of the Orcs they were crushed. In desperation the other women and I donned armor and fought for our lives. It was a terrible battle, but luck was on our side. The Orcs had fought men that tried to match them blow for blow their entire lives, so when they fought us they didn't now how to deal with warriors that retreated and dodged with the grace only a dancer may carry. In a desperate gambit, I used all of my skill and cut down the Orc leader and his fell bodyguards. When the men returned to the village they found us triumphant and they found me in my armor, my skin unblemished by a single cut." The woman paused in her story, a grinding sound in her throat as she breathed heavily before she continued, "They fell upon us like the demons we had heard stories of. They told us that women were forbidden from war as they poured alchemist's fire on us, and they screamed that we were unfit to be women as they cut our beauty from us. Finally, after all that they did to us, they broke us. They cut the muscles in our legs open and shattered our feet. By bearing arms to save our lives were had been forbidden to ever dance again. Finally, with our wounds still bleeding they threw us out of the village, and told us that if we were not gone by sunrise they would bury us in the sand up to our necks and watch us burn to death under the desert sun. Most of us died that first night, crawling on our bleeding stomachs. in the end I was the only one to escape that desert, and I swore to find a place where a woman could be equal to a man in all regards. Where I could wield my sword and none would care of anything beyond that. Instead I found Irolek."

The sudden silence left when the woman stopped speaking seemed to make a vast gulf between the woman and the quiet Saurus. Finally, Teheboq spoke to the woman, "Woman lay egg? Yes?"

The question caught the woman off guard, and she stumbled a bit as she answered, "Sort of, yes."

Teheboq moved over to the scimitar the woman had left on the ground and picked it up. Turning he gave it to the woman who accepted it with a question in her eyes. Pointing at the woman Teheboq spoke again, "Warrior fight. Yes?"

The woman's expression clouded as she tried to understand what the Saurus was saying. "Yes. Warriors fight."

Teheboq pointed at himself, "Teach fight," he said and pointed at the woman, "Learn all?"

"You want me to teach you about everything?" the woman asked her eyes betraying her excitement.

"Yes. Words most."

"And in return you'll teach me how to fight?"

"Yes," the Saurus answered cracking a small smile, or as close as a Saurus gets.

The woman seemed shocked, then smiled brightly, or as close as her scarred face could get, "You may call me Talibah."

+3 T (Little action, but it was long enough already (2000+ words))

Companion Get!
Talibah joins Teheboq's party as a minion!
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:09 am

Approved. You love your deserts =D.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Teheboq grimaced as Talibah instructed him. The strange words bounced around in Teheboq's mind. Teheboq tried to focus on the individual words, to grasp their meaning and make them his own, but he found concentration difficult. While he no longer felt his blood boil with the desire to spill blood, the poison had vastly weakened his ability to maintain his focus. He could feel Talibah's eyes watching him, judging him. Teheboq burned with shame. Saurus commanders could issue complex orders while fighting and heavily wounded, while Teheboq couldn't learn a simple phrase with some minor poison in his veins.

Cursing his weakness, Teheboq redoubled his efforts. The words were fluid, their light tone had a tinge of optimism. That if one could continue to hear the phrase all would be well. This was good, he was starting to understand, but the phrase as a whole would be near useless. Teheboq had asked Talibah to teach him how to express himself, but if he could learn the meaning and nature of the individual words, then he would have gained something truly worthwhile. The first word was sticky; it could be bent and altered, but it would return to its original shape quickly. The word spoke of peace and sunlight, but Teheboq could sense a portion of naivety. The word was built to be used with others, to stick to them and forge them together into something better than the individual parts, it would be weak, fragile on its own.

Teheboq's tongue lolled out of his mouth. Analyzing just this one word had been more tiring than killing the goblins that had attacked. His body ached, and his head felt like cracked stone, but Teheboq pressed on. The second word was, unusual. It was more static than the first word, more defined, but Teheboq could feel that its meaning was somehow more ambiguous. It could be applied to less subjects, but it could have a wider variety of meanings. The word spoke of duty and purpose, but with less honor behind it. Teheboq did not like this second word, at least not as much as the first, but he knew it was one that was used by humans frequently.

Having grasped the words' true meaning, Teheboq took a few minutes to let them sink in before he tried making the phrase they could become. The phrase was simple, it couldn't describe the nuances of Teheboq's feelings, but it would do for the moment. Looking into Talibah's eyes, Teheboq tried out the new words.

"Good job."

+1 T, +2 Wp (Also increasing Killer Instinct to Rank 2, but I couldn't work it in to this post)

(Haha made it this time)
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Approved and updated.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 am

As Teheboq lunged forward at the young Carnosaur with his spear his eye was drawn towards the beast's own. For but a moment the two locked gazes, and in that instant Teheboq remembered his first encounter with a Carnosaur.

"Never look a Carnosaur in the eye Teheboq," admonished Cuaq-Mundi.

The young Saurus looked over at his aged Skink mentor. "But why master Cuaq-Mundi?" Teheboq asked, his eyes full of curiosity.

"The Carnosaur is the ultimate predator. Their dominion over the jungles is only interrupted by the Stegadon and the rare Thunder Lizard, and even the former winds up as a meal more often than not," Cuaq-Mundi said. "The Carnosaur is filled with a red fury that never abates. Only an exceptional Saurus can calm this rage, and even then it is a monumental task."

"Like Krok-Gar?" Teheboq asked, his question filled with awe.

"Yes young warrior, like the last defender of Xhotl." The ancient Skink turned from Teheboq for a moment. Looking back at the Carnosaur he and the young Saurus were watching from a distance he began to rest his weight on the ceremonial staff he carried. "Teheboq," the Skink started, "of the warriors that attempted to bond themselves to this Carnosaur when it was a hatchling, only one remains to perform his duty. A full quarter of a spawning died to assuage this beasts fury, and even I do not remember how many Skinks were sacrificed to steal and rear it."

Teheboq pondered for a moment on the words before speaking, "Then why make the attempt?"

The Old Skink looked up at Teheboq next to him, "That single beast, when tied to its rider, will be worth more than an entire spawning of Saurus in battle."

"But what if the rider is killed? It seems unwise to sacrifice to sacrifice a known for an unknown."

"Careful Saurus, your youth is showing!" The old Skink laughed at his own jibe. "The bond between a Carnosaur and one who masters such a predator is not something broken by something so simple as death. The rider controls the rage of the beast, channels it, and finally directs it towards his foes. If the rider is killed, that rage is released, like the smashing open of a dam. Like the water in the dam, who do you think the rage will sweep up in its torrent?"

Teheboq's eyes widened as comprehension dawned on him, "The destroyer of the dam will be swept away."

"You learn quickly young Saurus. Perhaps one day you will have the strength to withstand the fury within the Carnosaurs eye.

The lesson was well learned master, Teheboq thought as he willed his eyes to the point he was lunging for on the Carnosaurs underbelly.

+3 Wp (and don't forget that Rank increase on Killer Instinct)
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am

kk done, and done.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:57 pm

"But why?" Teheboq asked.

"Tell me Teheboq, are you larger and stronger than I am?" Cuaq-Mundi responded.

"Of course."

Cuaq-Mundi looked at the ground and with surprising speed, snatched a small lizard from the ground. "Am I larger than this lizard?" Cuaq-Mundi asked, presenting the small creature in his palm.

"That is obvious master Cuaq-Mundi," Teheboq answered, confused by his teacher's questions.

"Such is life. There will always be something bigger and stronger than you. It is fine to attack in a standard fashion when fighting a weaker opponent, but there will often be times when you must defeat an opponent that will seem all but impossible to defeat."

Teheboq stared at the small lizard in Cuaq-Mundi's hand. After a moment he spoke, "I still do not understand. No matter how many times that small lizard bites you, it will never be able to kill you before you can kill it."

Cuaq-Mundi bent down and carefully let the lizard go. "Of course young Saurus, but it is a beast. The lizard does not know to attack the eyes, the arteries, the vital organs. The lizard fights for food or survival, you fight for a greater purpose. This purpose will give you strength and speed, it will help you to defeat impossible foes. This is why you practice such fighting skills," Cuaq-mundi finished and, using his ceremonial staff heavily, rose to his feet.

"My purpose.."

Cuaq-Mundi spoke quickly as he noticed his pupil slipping into one of his common reveries, "Do not worry young one, your purpose will be divined soon enough. You should feel honored, most Saurus are born with only a single purpose. To be the weapon that our people uses to shape the world around us. You can perform this duty, but you also have a greater purpose waiting for you someday."

Teheboq gripped his spear tightly as he spoke, "I understand. Still, I cannot stop my thoughts from turning. As much as I try to embrace myself, I feel jealous of my brothers. I wish that I had been born like them. Knowing everything I needed to at birth. I curse my ability to question the world around me, and I feel shame for having such desires."

"Fear not Teheboq. You were made for a purpose, even these thoughts were part of a greater plan. One day you will understand, for now however, you must return to your practices.

Teheboq remembered the lesson as he put it into practice. The Carnosaur was a fearsome foe, even one as young as this. Still, Teheboq knew how to defeat foes stronger than himself.

+3 WS
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Approved and Updated.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 am

Teheboq grunted as he lifted the heavy stone and and placed it carefully on top of the pile he had made. Exhausted, Teheboq sat down on the ground. He was only on the ground for a second before something wooden cracked him on the back of his head, forcing him forwards and onto his feet.

"We do not rest until we are finished young one," Teheboq's mentor, Cuaq-Mundi, admonished.

Teheboq rubbed the spot on his skull where Cuaq-Mundi's staff had hit him. Few Skinks would dare to use a ceremonial staff in such a fashion, but Cuaq-Mundi was well-known for behaving strangely. Were it not for his skills as a scribe and advisor he would likely have found himself on the dangerous far patrols. Teheboq often wondered if Cuaq-Mundi could have an even more prestigious position if he acted a little more conservatively around the other Skink priests.

"You have something on your mind Teheboq, speak freely," Cuaq-Mundi said, his eyes carefully scrutinizing Teheboq.

Flustered, Teheboq spoke quickly, "I am having difficulty understanding the purpose of this exercise master. Do we not have the mighty Kroxigor to perform this function for us?"

"Of course young one. While the Saurus are the blade, and the Skinks are the pen, the Kroxigor are the hammer. To build and destroy, that is their function."

Teheboq creased his brow, confused as to why his mentor had not answered his question, "But why then master Cuaq-Mundi? I am Saurus, I am to be the blade of our people."

Cuaq-Mundi closed his eyes and rested on his staff, suddenly seeming very weary, "In other Saurus this is true, but you are different. We do not know your purpose yet Teheboq. While the others have seen fit to train you as a soldier until your purpose is revealed, I feel differently. From the moment you pulled yourself from the spawning pool you have craved knowledge. I believe that this curiosity is tied to your destiny. For this reason I have taught you so far."

Teheboq contemplated Cuaq-Mundi's words for a moment. When he was younger the Skink priest had spoken clearly, but lately he had veiled the meaning of his words more and more. Was the Skink trying to teach him something new by doing so, or was he having more difficulty expressing himself as he got older? Unlike Saurus, Skinks felt the ravages of time on their bodies and minds, and Cuaq-Mundi had been ancient before Teheboq had even been spawned. Remembering that his master was waiting for his reply, Teheboq spoke up, "You wish me to learn everything I can, including how to build like a Kroxigor."

"Yes Teheboq, but there is more to it than that. I could have had you study completed structures, or watched the Kroxigor at their work if I wanted you to simply know in your mind, but there is another kind of knowledge, one of the body."

"Knowledge of the body master?"

"Indeed young Saurus. The body can remember things like the mind can. Although it is slower at taking in new information, it can remember it far longer and far better than the mind can. The body remembers actions it has repeated many, many times over. Thus the stones."

Teheboq looked over at the stone pile, and then at his spear, "I think I understand master. When I step into formation my body often moves without my mind's command, this must be the same principle."

Cuaq-Mundi smiled, "Yes Teheboq, it is the same. Be wary of this knowledge, there are many Skinks who think I am a fool to believe in the body's memory."

Teheboq was taken aback, "Why? It seems easy enough to prove as a concept."

"You are young Teheboq, you have not learned yet how the old fear change, even learning a new fact can seem dangerous. However, that is a lesson for another time. Your break is over Teheboq, get back to work."

Teheboq groaned, but quickly moved towards another stone for the pile.

+2S, +1T
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 am

Very long delay but approved!
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin