WAR: Tide of Ichor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revised Equipment (warning math present)

3 posters

Go down

Revised Equipment (warning math present) Empty Revised Equipment (warning math present)

Post  FlyingPinkPony Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 am

Starting Equipment –

Reworked Numbers and Such

So I spent some time in class today going over all the starting equipment, found average Damage per Round etc of all the starting weapons and am making some changes/clarity for starting items/Equipment

Overall Equipment – Characters are allowed as much equipment as they want however there are limits to how much can be taken on a mission. Described below. Later on there will be a marketplace where players will be able to sell unwanted equipment.
Slots
Characters will be allowed the following slots –
Weapon/Item – This is anything from a weapon, to a shield, to a want. Something that requires the use of a hand. A character may carry up to 4 Hands worth of equipment but may only benefit from 2 hands worth at the same time. Example a character wielding a sword/board and two-hander would not gain the benefits of the shield while attacking foes with the two-hander. The equipment still in use will be labeled your “Active” equipment. Changing your active equipment is a free action.
Armor – Each character is allowed one set of armor. This should be obvious.
Charms – These small items modify the Weapons/Items and Armor described above. Unlike normal equipment these items are actually equipped to other items (The Whetstone won in the first mission that grants +1 minimum damage to a melee weapon is an excellent example of this.) I am undecided if they will be able to be unequipped or not but I’m leaning towards yes. Regardless that’s a bridge we’ll get to later.
Magic Item – This slot is for miscellaneous magic items. Most of these items will be given subtypes such as cloak, talisman, helmet, etc. A character is only allowed 1 item of each subtype (you cannot wear two cloaks for example). Initially each character is allowed 2 magic item slots, this will increase as the game progresses as we obtain more and more items etc. The other thing I am considering is restricting it by subtype instead of sheer number. For example eventually everyone would be allowed a cloak, talisman, helmet, misc, arcane, etc instead of 4 non-matching items.
Mount – Hinted at earlier progress is well under way to allow mounts into the game. Mounts will eventually be made available to all characters, although they will only be used during certain missions.
Mount Item – Mounts will be allowed to be equipped with things like barding, or stirrups, or whatever. Again more will be revealed with this at a later date.
Anyways I have done a lot of statistics and calculated the DPR (damage per round) of all the various starting weapons and have done some rebalancing.
The most important change is that Great Weapons have been removed. Their initial DPR was simply too high. There are also a number of changes made to the rest of the skills.
Balanced: Adds +10 to hit/wound .
Oversized: -10 to hit if wielding something in the other hand that is not Lightweight.
2 – Handed – Takes both hands to wield.
Casting Penalty: Takes penalty to casting rolls equal to the value.
Encumbered: Cannot dash.

Here is the Revised List of melee weapons and armor. –
Balanced Weapon : 2-5 damage, Balanced.
Hand Weapon: 3-6 damage.
Large Weapon: 4-8 damage, oversized.
2 –Handed Weapon: 5-10 damage.
Shield: 5% block chance.
Heavy Armor: 2 armor, encumbered. Casting Penalty (10)
Light Armor: 1 armor, Casting Penalty (5)

Assuming Average stats etc – This is the list of the current weapons and DPRs with the modifications. In order of DPS. Also no armor was included.
Dual Wielding (2 Oversized w/o talents): .72 + .56= 1.06
Dual Wielding (2 Balanced w/o talents): .875 + .56= 1.435
Handed Weapon: 1.62
Balanced One Handed Weapon: 1.715
Large Weapon (w/offhand equipped): 1.8
Dual Wielding (Hand W/Balanced w/talents): 1.125 + .875 = 2.00
Dual Wielding (2 Balanced w/talents): 1.26 + .875 = 2.135
Large Weapon (w/o offhand): 2.16
2-Handed Weapon: 2.7

I did not include every combination of DWing because I am a math teacher, not an idiot. However, overall these numbers seem pretty solid to me. 2-Handers should innately have the highest DPS due to the many abilities that function off of hitting associated with DWin (such as poison etc). However it should also be noted that things like armor effect DWin more than the larger weapons. The converse of this is that DWer benefit significantly more from improved statistics than 2Handers and they scale at a much faster rate. I think in terms of basic game balance these modifications work out pretty well actually. Single wielding a balanced weapon grants improved chance to hit and accuracy, while a large grants higher DPS but more unreliability in terms of using powerful attacks.
Other Modifiers –
Armor- Armor obviously effects DWers a little more than the larger weapons. However the numbers are not as bad as one might initially think. The converse of this however is…
Scalability –DWers simply scale better than larger weapons. This allows people who are particularly skilled (IE high WS and S) to gain more of a benefit.
Critical hits when taken into effect offer no significant difference between the weapons. If you want to calculate how much critical hits effect damage. Just multiply by ((1+Crit chance)/1).
Burst DPS vs Sustained – Currently in sheer DPS terms the burst DPS weapons have the edge, which is fine. I feel the sustained DPS weapons should be a little on the lower side due to their inherent and overall weakness. In the long run statistically Burst DPS will actually end up wasting more damage (from downed foes) than Sustained DPS.

I haven’t done all the mathcraft on ranged weapons (firearms w/static S make this incredibly difficult). However the major change to firearms is that I will be including a strength requirement and adding an unreliable trait.
Hopefully this should be enough food for thought. And despite doing all the math I encourage folks to take what is appropriate for their character etc. That should go without saying but I know some folks might jump on this as a basis for everything. The only concern I have at the moment is Balanced One-Handed weapons for single wielding but mathwise it is okay. Thoughts or concerns?

Last edited by FlyingPinkPony on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

https://wartide.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Revised Equipment (warning math present) Empty Re: Revised Equipment (warning math present)

Post  deadlychair Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 am

Delicious. I think that limiting magic items by subcategory works well, unless we want hilarious looking characters with three cloaks on or something.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

http://acurioustalecory.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Revised Equipment (warning math present) Empty Re: Revised Equipment (warning math present)

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 am

The issue was limiting them soley based on location, or based on number as well as location (to limit trinket hording for example).

Anyhoot Ranged Weapons

Firing a Ranged Weapon - Ranged weapons

Keyword -
Armor Piercing - Ignore up to X points of the defenders armor.
Shoot and Move - As Skirmish, but suffer a -10 to hit and wound when moving and shooting.
Skirmish - You can move 1 zone before shooting without penalty.
Unreliable X - If this weapon rolls an X or lower on its hit roll it misfires. Treat this as an automatic hit against the shooter.
One-Shot - A one-shot weapon can only be used once an encounter.
S - This is the strength of the shot.
Min Str - This is the minimum strength required to wield this weapon.
Bow - Bows use the S of the shooter to determine their S. Each bow has a maximum Str value that can be obtained. Bow is also a weapon type that applies to certain abilities and skills.
Crossbow/Blackpowder - Crossbows and Blackpowder weapons are weapon types that apply to certain abilities and skills.
Long Reload X - These weapons require X free actions to reload and fire again. A normal action can also be used to reload this weapon regardless of the X.
Throwing - Throwing Weapons use the the S of the shooter to determine their S.
Light - A light weapon may use AG instead of S for the wound roll/bonus damage.

Bows-
Longbow - 6-9 damage, Bow, Max S(40) ,Min S(20) Long Range, Two-Handed.
Bow - 4-8 damage, Shoot and Move, Max S(30), Min S(15), Bow, Medium Range, Two-Handed.
Short Bow - 3-6 damage, Bow, Skirmish, Max S(20), Medium Range, Two-Handed.

Crossbows -
Heavy Crossbow - 3-12 damage, Crossbow, S(30), Min Str (20), Armor Piercing 2, Medium Range, Long Reload 2, Two-Handed.
Crossbow - 2-10 damage. Crossbow, S(25), Min Str (15), Armor Piercing 1, Medium Range, Long Reload 1, Two-Handed.
Hand Crossbow - 2-5 damage, Crossbow, Short Range, S(15), Skirmish, Long Reload 1, One-Handed.

Blackpowder -
Rifle 4-10, S(25), Min S(20), Armor Piercing 1, Long Reload 1, Blackpowder, Unreliable 10, Medium Range.
Pistol 3-8, S(20), Armor Piercing 2, Skirmish, One-Shot, Blackpowder, Unreliable 5, Short Range.

Throwing Weapons -
Light Throwing Weapons - 2-6 damage, Short Range, Throwing, Skirmish, Light.
Heavy Throwing Weapons - 3-10 damage, One-Shot, Short Range, Armor Piercing 2, Throwing, Skirmish.

This will be the end of the starting equipment list. Any other thoughts etc? Ranged weapons got a little more complicated but I feel the changes are solid. Thoughts even such as "Thumbs up, you're my favorite Admin and friend ever, are appreciated." If you have constructive feedback that is also acceptable.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 am

I like the blackpowder additions, it makes things much fluffier. Also love the new site look except for one thing. Whenwriting a post the text is white on a white background. SSo yeah, wrote this post without seeing what I'm doing at all.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:55 am

I need to get into the CSS directly to try and fix this problem but the site layout makes it much more difficult than it should be. In addition my CSS is rusty and I've never used ti directly in forum style settings before but I will try an fix this problem tonight. I am currently fairly overloaded but I will try and sort thhorugh the code.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 am

No worries for me as I usually write my posts in Google docs before-hand anyways.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

So any other comments or should I call this good on the starting equipment list?
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DemonicFerret Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Thumbs up, you're my favorite Admin and friend ever.

DemonicFerret
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down