WAR: Tide of Ichor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Magic

3 posters

Go down

High Magic Empty High Magic

Post  Forte Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Handful of Clarifications:

Khaine's Fury: If you fail a Spellpower roll, do you just stop making rolls at that point or do you lose the bonus damage? If it's the latter, there should be a stacking penalty on it to prevent it from randomly doing crap-loads of damage imo. I'll be giving it a test run to see how it feels in the next adventure, but as it stands that's how I look at it.

Shield of Saphery: Does the DR and Ward Save also effect you? It only says "allies within range", so it should probably be noted that it specifically doesn't effect you if it isn't intended to do so.

Otherwise, it's awesome. I really like the charging concept behind Khaine's Fury, I just worry that it will end up dealing far and away too much damage at random times.
Forte
Forte
Soldier

Back to top Go down

High Magic Empty Re: High Magic

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Clarifications have been made. If you have other suggestions to improve the lore I'm open to ideas. (Particularly with regards to passives or other abilities). I am currently in way over my head with number of abilities required of me but I will come up with some. Also feel free to bring up any balance concerns etc here. I do my best to try and keep things balanced but I will admit I do make mistakes and oversights. Thanks for the help guys.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

https://wartide.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:45 am

Flames of the Phoenix terrifies me, but it's a level 6 spell so it should. Aside from my own fears, I don't see anything to really about balance wise with what you have currently. The tree makes the player a lot more likely to just sit there casting spells rather than trying anything else if that's a concern, but I'm fine with that (though I'm mainly concerned with fluff anyways). Some possible ideas for for skills:

Walk Between Worlds - 2 Ranks - Spell Level ?
Requirements: ?
Type: Personal Spell
Spell Power: None
Effect: You become ethereal for 1/2 rounds.

New condition "Ethereal": When under the "Ethereal" condition you may only be harmed by magical abilities or weapons and may only move or use magic yourself.

Fortune Is Fickle - 3 Ranks - Spell Level ?
Type: Sustainable Personal Range Spell (Not sure what to call this)
Effect: All spells cast within 2/3/4 zones have a +10/20/30% chance of miscast. (I don't quite like this. I want it to increase miscasts for everyone, but it should also make it so that the mage himself can cast other things, maybe switch it to a non-sustainable spell and have it last for 2/3/4 rounds?)

Courage of Aenarion - 3 Ranks - Spell Level ?
Type: Sustainable Medium Ranged Spell
Effect: You and all allies within range gain Ws and Ag +10/15/20. (Yeah, not really sure what to do with this one, but some kind of combat boost to your allies seems appropriate.)

Mage of the White Tower- 2 Ranks
Type: Passive
Effect: When you fail to cast a spell your chance of a miscast is reduced 10/20%. (I figure mages using High Magic will have less of the explosive deaths than a Tzeentch chosen or a Goblin shaman. This also gives some synergy with Fortune Is Fickle and the repeated casting that the tree already lends itself to.)

Magical Blood - 2 Ranks
Effect: Spells are cast at +5/10 Wp, but enemy spells are blocked at -10/5 Wp. (I hate this one, but maybe something that reflects elves natural affinity for magic and how they are also more easily affected by it.)

Loremaster - 2 Ranks
Requirements: May not have any skill points in Seer or Channeler
Effect: (I'm thinking maybe a straight buff to casting spells, maybe a bonus to Wp only all the casting roll? I feel this should be the most simple of the three choices.)

Seer - 2 Ranks
Requirements: May not have any skill points in Loremaster or Channeler
Effect: The first spell cast by the player is automatically cast with IF unless the spell fails in which case it is an automatic Miscast. Second Rank removes the automatic Miscast. (Refelcts the mage's ability to see the future slightly, not sure how broken this could be though.)

Channeler - 2 Ranks
Requirements: May not have any skill points in Seer or Loremaster
Effect: (No clue, some sort of mulitplier to IF and Miscast effects/affects? Hard to make different from Winds of Change under the Tzeentch tree.)

Sigil of Asuryan - 1 Rank
Effect: The enemy spell cast against the player automatically fails. (If the spell affects mutliple people it only fails against this player. Better as a possible quest reward later? Too much?)

Master of Saphery - 2 Ranks
Requirements: ? (High?)
Effect: The player suffers 25%/50% the penalty to cast from wounds. (Though about reducing the penalty to successive casts, but that seemed a bit much to me, even if it fit with the whole theme of sitting back and casting almost exclusively that I feel this tree has.)

True Magic - 2 Ranks (Not sure on how many ranks of this should be allowed)
Effect: The player chooses a spell from one of eight lesser lores (Light, Alchemy, Life, Heavens, Shadows, Fire, Death, or Beasts) for each rank in true magic. The player may put skill points into this(these) skill(s) as if they had taken that lore. (Really not sure on this one. It weakens the distinctivness between the skill trees and could be utterly ridiculously broken. Maybe limit it to level 1 or 2 spells?)

These are some ideas I just tried to come up with and none of them are particularly well thought through and most have annotations that I added to them as I was writing this post, but I figured getting some ideas out there would probably help since you guys seem to be so good at getting things nice and balanced up.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

http://acurioustalecory.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:51 am

I stole a couple of your ideas for the HE lore chair with a few twists. I'll be taking a closer look at it tonight at work. One thing I am going to have to change is Shield of Saphery, not sure exactly how yet though. With the upcoming DR changes it will be identical to orange fire except pretty much better since it effects your allies (Although you do have to sustain it). This spell will need to altered significantly or possibly replaced with one of the one listed above.

Currently I am only trying to have 6 spells in each lore, for fluff (Each lore in warhammer only has 6) and balance with the general trees.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

https://wartide.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down