WAR: Tide of Ichor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Path of the Duelist

2 posters

Go down

Path of the Duelist Empty Path of the Duelist

Post  FlyingPinkPony Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Formerly the path of grace. I havent made a lot of alterations yet, just switched sonic slash to epic and tweaked a few things. I think overall this tree is solid on passives. It mainly needs more in the way of powerful attacks, mainly cause i dont like a couple of the ones here.

Path of Grace 42 5-PA

How do we feel about this?
Desperate Agility- 2 Ranks.
Requirements: 3 Mobility
Type: Passive
Effect: When your Hp is below 25/50% you may use your Agi instead of your T against physical attacks on the to Wound roll (If higher).

Buffed slightly.
Quick Step - 1 Ranks.
Requirements: None
Effects: You can move 1 zone before combat begins. Add +10 to your initiative rolls.

Solid IMO
One Handed Specialization- 3 Ranks
Effects: While wielding only a single 1 handed weapon you gain +1/3/5% chance to dodge melee attacks and + 1/2/3 damage.

Buffed from last time.
First Strike - 2 Ranks
Effect: On the roll to see who goes first gain +30/75 to your initiative roll.

I like this skill a lot
Sudden Strike - 1 Rank
Requirements: First Strike
Effect: If you roll higher initiative than any of your opponents you may make an additional action on your first turn.

I like this as well
Precision Strikes - 2 Ranks
Effect: Lower an opponents dodge and block rating by 5/10% against your melee attacks.

Nothing wrong here
Agility - 3 Ranks
Effects: 1/3/5% dodge chance.

Same
Sidestep - 2 Ranks
Effects: 2/5% dodge chance against melee weapons.

Same, although a very high dodge chance is possible for the mobile one.
Mobility - 3 Ranks.
Effects: 3/6/10% dodge chance for 1 round anytime you move a zone.

I am a huge fan of this skill.
Trailing Blade - 2 Ranks
Effect: Each time you move out of a zone with an enemy you may deal 1/2 damage to an enemy in that zone. This damage ignores armor.

This works well too.
Blitz - 1 Rank
Type: Powerful Dash
Effect: This Dash moves 3 zones instead of 2.

Altered. I think improved.
Whirlwind Attack- 2 Ranks
Type: Powerful Melee Attack
Effect: Make an attack roll against each enemy in your zone. Each attack suffers -20/10 to hit.

I like it. Fits the duelist theme
Riposte - 2 Ranks
Effects: If you dodge an attack you gain +10/20 to hit and 2/5 damage to your first melee attack next round.

Fine. Need another PA or two though
Fluid Motions - 2 Ranks
Effects: After you use a powerful attack or ability from the Path of Grace you gain an additional 5/10% dodge chance and a 2/5% critical strike chance until the end of your next turn.

Added in and altered.
Light Armor Specialization - 1 Rank
Effects: You reduce to penalty to spellpower rolls by 5. (The penalty to spellpower roll still applies).

Solid.
Dodging Blade- 1 Ranks
Requirements: Trailing Blade 2
Effects: Whenever you dodge an attack you may activate your trailing blade as if you moved through an enemies zone.

I like the idea but it needs some work
Leap Attack - 3 Ranks
Requirements: Mobility 3
Effect: You leap into the air gaining a 5/15/25% increased dodge chance and can only be attacked by ranged attacks for the next round (This counts as moving for the purposes of movement reliant skills). You performed no other actions this round. Next round you can shift one zone and perform an attack on an opponent in that zone. This attack gains a 10/25/40% critical strike chance and has +15/20/25 to hit and wound. If no foe is in your zone this attack simply fails.

I feel bleh about this one.
Lightning Strike - 2 Ranks
Effect: This attack hits automatically. Use your Ag instead of your S for resolving the rest of the attack. This attack deals 50/75% damage.

Altered, and improved. Removed the several attack aspects.
Frontal Assault -3 Ranks
Type: Powerful Charge Attack
Effect: You may charge two zones and attack the target. You deal an additional 1/2/3 damage and 5/10% dodge chance for each zone you move to engage the target.

Turned Epic
Sonic Slash - 1 Ranks
Requirements: Lightning Strike 2, Whirlwind Attack 3
Type: Epic Melee Attack
Effect: This blindingly fast attack slices through armor and bone alike. This attack automatically hits. If it wounds it deals damage equal to higher of 60% of the targets W or double weapon damage.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

https://wartide.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Path of the Duelist Empty Re: Path of the Duelist

Post  deadlychair Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:00 am

A few questions before I can start trying to come up with skills to add.

Solid IMO
Effects: While wielding only a single 1 handed weapon you gain +1/3/5% chance to dodge melee attacks and + 1/2/3 damage.

-I figure this only applies if you only have a 1 handed weapon, no shields or anything, but I wanted to make sure.

Trailing Blade - 2 Ranks
Effect: Each time you move out of a zone with an enemy you may deal 1/2 damage to an enemy in that zone. This damage ignores armor.

-What happens if you have a poisoned weapon, are the enemies poisoned or not by this attack?

Blitz - 1 Rank

-Heavy armor would still keep you from dashing with this move, correct?

As for everything else I see no big problems, though light armor specialization is a little out of place since this isn't a spellcasting tree. If someone made something like an assassin, duelist, scout they would never really want to take that ability since they aren't casting spells. It isn't like there isn't enough of a reason to become a spellcaster anyway.

Edit: Leaping Attack, does the attack require the zone shift, or can you just jump up, not shift a zone, and get the attack on someone in your zone?

Last edited by deadlychair on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : leaping attack, not strik)
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

http://acurioustalecory.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 am

Some more thoughts:

Effect: This attack hits automatically. Use your Ag instead of your S for resolving the rest of the attack. This attack deals 50/75% damage.

Why not change this skill to look more like the the juggernaut skill that's somewhat similar.

Lightning Strike - 3 Ranks
Effect: This attack lets you use Ag instead of S for the To-Wound roll. Gain +0/10/20Ag. In addition this attack automatically hits.

-A fairly large buff. Another idea is to give the attack a crit bonus rather than an Ag bonus (0/5/15?).

Leap - 3 Ranks
Requirements: ???
Effect: You leap into the air gaining a 5/15/25% increased dodge chance and can only be attacked by ranged attacks for the next round and may move up to two zones.

Leap Attack: 2 Ranks
Requirements: Leap 3
Effect: You leap into the air, gaining a 25% increased dodge chance and can only be attack by ranged attacks for the next round (This counts as moving for the purposes of movement reliant skills). Next round you may shift one zone and attack an opponent in that zone. This attack gains a 10/30% critical strike chance and has +15/20 to hit and wound. If no foe is in your zone this attack fails and you become dazed and lose all dodge bonuses until your next turn.

-I split Leap into two different abilities and changed some numbers around. As it was I felt that Leap Attack was a little too powerful of a move. I think that something that had such devastating potential should have some sort of inherent risk. This way it seems a bit more fluffy to me as well.

Nimble Acrobatics: 3 Ranks
Type: Powerful Ability
Effect: You gain a +20/30/40% increased dodge chance and +10/20/30 Ag until your next round. Any enemy melee attacks that fail their To-Hit roll or you succesfully dodge cause that enemy to become dazed for one round.

-The idea is to make yourself a target in order to get a free round of striking next turn. Normally this wouldn't amount to much, but combined with the Riposte skill you get an overall increase in damage potential, not including your allies attacks while you are dodging everything thrown at you. Not sure about the Ag increase, since it doesn't do anything help melee people hit you, but it does discourage archers while you're doing this move.

well this is a start. I'll weigh in more when I can come up with some more ideas, but looking at it I think we have a fair amount of single target powerful attacks. I feel this tree needs a few more powerful defensive abilities/attacks and perhaps some battlefield alteration (moving people around, unless we want to keep that as juggernaut's sole thing). I really like the daze mechanic that Pony just used in my solo adventure, and I think we could do a lot with it in this tree, just so long as we make it so the player has to sacrifice something in order to do so (like no attacking in Nimble Acrobatics), otherwise it would get too powerful.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:46 am

Solid IMO
Effects: While wielding a 1 handed weapon with nothing in your offhand, you gain +1/3/5% chance to dodge melee attacks and + 1/2/3 damage.

-I figure this only applies if you only have a 1 handed weapon, no shields or anything, but I wanted to make sure.

yes

Trailing Blade - 2 Ranks
Effect: Each time you move out of a zone with an enemy you may deal 1/2 automatic damage to an enemy in that zone. This damage ignores armor.

-What happens if you have a poisoned weapon, are the enemies poisoned or not by this attack?

Poison applies on hit only. This ability technically never hits simply damages. I am slowly getting better with keywords and such huzzah! Good clarification though. I am going to clarify in the basic mechanics somewhere automatic damage ignores armor. Might make it its own type or sumtin.

Blitz - 1 Rank

-Heavy armor would still keep you from dashing with this move, correct?
As this move is a modification of Dash if one is unable to perform the default action (such as ranged attack, dash, or charge) for any reason they are also unable to perform special versions of these actions.

Effect: This attack lets you use Ag instead of S for the To-Wound roll and hits automatically. This attack gains +0/10/20% critical strike chance.

[b] You're right I like the crit chance better. Changed.

Leap - 2 Ranks
Type: Powerful Free Ability
Effect: You leap into the air disengaging from all your current enemies and gain a 0/5/10% increased dodge, and critical strike chance until the end of the round.

The airtime is suspect. I think i'm gonna leave actual flying to the engineers. Changed a bit

Nimble Acrobatics: 3 Ranks
Effect: You gain a +20/30/40% increased dodge chance and +10/20/30 Ag until your next round. Any enemy melee attacks that fail their To-Hit roll or you succesfully dodge cause that enemy to become dazed for one round.

I like the idea but what did you mean by the dazed mechanic?

Also wanted to change this up a bit.
Requirements: Mobility
Type: Powerful Free Ability - Usuable only when Wounded or Dying.
Effect: You may use your AG instead of T and gain a +5/10% ward save for the next 1/2.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 am

By dazed I mean like the goblin in my solo adventure, basically 1 turn no actions.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 am

I'm not a big fan of making opponents lose turns. But something like riposte or something would work.

Parrying Stance: 3 Ranks
Requirements:
Effect: You gain a +10/20/30% increased dodge chance. If you dodge an attack you make a free automatic attack against the attacker with +10/20/30 to hit. This lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 am

Fine with me. For some reason I was really into making people miss turns that day.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Path of Grace 42 5-PA

Effect: You may use your AG instead of your T, if higher, and gain a +5/10% ward save for the next 1/2 rounds.

Quick Step - 1 Ranks.
Effects: You can move 1 zone before combat begins. Add +10 to your initiative rolls.

First Strike - 2 Ranks
Effect: You gain +30/75 to your initiative roll.

Sudden Strike - 1 Rank
Effect: If you roll higher initiative than any of your opponents you may make an additional action on your first turn.

Effect: Lower an opponents dodge and block rating by 5/10% against your melee attacks.

Agility - 3 Ranks

Sidestep - 2 Ranks

Mobility - 3 Ranks.

Trailing Blade - 2 Ranks

Blitz - 1 Rank
Effect: This Dash moves 3 zones instead of 2. +10 to initiative checks.

Effect: Make an attack roll against each enemy in your zone. Each attack suffers -20/10 to hit and wound.

Riposte - 2 Ranks
Effects: If you dodge an attack you gain +10/20 to hit and 2/5 damage to your first melee attack next round.

Fluid Motions - 2 Ranks
Effects: After you use a powerful attack or ability from the Path of Grace you gain an additional 5/10% dodge chance and a 2/5% critical strike chance until the end of your next turn.

Dodging Blade- 1 Ranks
Requirements: Trailing Blade
Effects: Whenever you dodge an attack you may activate your trailing blade as if you moved through an enemies zone.

Leap - 2 Ranks
Requirements: Sidestep
Effect: You leap into the air disengaging from all your current enemies and gain a 0/5/10% increased dodge, and critical strike chance until the end of the round.

Effect: This attack lets you use Ag instead of S for the To-Wound roll and hits automatically. This attack gains +0/10/20% critical strike chance.

Frontal Assault -3 Ranks
Effect: You may charge two zones and attack the target. You deal an additional 1/2/3 damage and 0/5/10% dodge chance for each zone you move to engage the target.

Sonic Slash - 1 Ranks
Requirements: Lightning Strike, Whirlwind Attack
Effect: This blindingly fast attack slices through armor and bone alike. This attack automatically hits. If it wounds it deals damage equal to higher of 60% of the targets W or double weapon damage.

-Might add one or two more things, but these are a bunch of these tweaks. Still not 100% happy w/ the last dodge/strike move. I'll think on it. Comments?
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Blitz - 1 Rank
Effect: This Dash moves 3 zones instead of 2. +10 to initiative checks.

Is the second part of this ability a passive that's always active? Other than this question it all looks good to me.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:26 pm

I lied. Ignore that ability. Try this one on for size.

Blitz - 1 Rank
Effect: Move 1 zone towards an enemy. If this is during the a turn gained through winning an initiative roll you may move 2 zones instead. Add +10 to all your initiative checks, this effect is always active.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Thoughts? Or is this okay?
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 am

kk one more shot at this. Take note of the new blitz and the Parrying Blade.

Path of Grace 40

Effect: You may use your AG instead of your T, if higher, and gain a +5/10% ward save for the next 3 rounds.

Quick Step - 1 Ranks.

First Strike - 2 Ranks
Effect: You gain +25/50 to your initiative roll.

Sudden Strike - 1 Rank

Effect: Lower opponents dodge and block rating by 5/10% against your melee attacks.

Agility - 3 Ranks

Sidestep - 2 Ranks

Mobility - 3 Ranks.

Trailing Blade - 2 Ranks

Effect: Make an attack roll against each enemy in your zone. Each attack suffers -20/10 to hit and wound.
Parry Blade- 2 Ranks
Requirements: Agility
Effect: Make an attack roll against each enemy in your zone. This attack gains +5/10 to hit and wound. You also gain an increased critical strike equal to 1/2 times your dodge chance. You can only use this attack after dodging or blocking an attack.

Riposte - 2 Ranks

Fluid Motions - 2 Ranks

Dodging Blade- 1 Ranks
Requirements: Trailing Blade

Leap - 2 Ranks
Requirements: Sidestep
Effect: You leap into the air disengaging from all your current enemies and gain a 5/10% increased dodge, and critical strike chance until the end of the round.

Frontal Assault -3 Ranks
Effect: You may charge two zones and attack the target. You deal an additional 1/2/3 damage and 0/5/10% dodge chance for each zone you move to engage the target.
Blitz - 1 Rank
Effect: Move 1 zone towards an enemy. If this is during the a turn gained through winning an initiative roll you may move 2 zones instead. Add +10 to all your initiative checks, this effect is always active.

Sonic Slash - 1 Ranks
Requirements: Lightning Strike, Whirlwind Attack
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deadlychair Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:04 am

I like what I see.
deadlychair
deadlychair
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingPinkPony Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 am

K well we'll call this good for the time being then since nobody else seems to have an opinion.
FlyingPinkPony
FlyingPinkPony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down